Wild Mushroom and Leek Stuffing
This isn’t your boring old box stuffing. No way!
This mouthwatering stuffing is packed full of rich garden flavors that really complement your trusty Thanksgiving bird. Wow your guests during the holiday season with this excellent gourmet stuffing!
1 1/2 cups hot water
1/2 ounce dried porcini mushrooms*
1 cup (2 sticks) butter
1 pound fresh shiitake mushrooms, stems removed, caps sliced
1 pound button mushrooms, sliced
1 1/2 cups chopped leeks (white and pale green parts only)
6 garlic cloves, chopped
2 cups dry white wine
1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
Low sodium Chicken stock
2 Ciabattas or other artisan bread, halved lengthwise, and cut into 1 inch cubes slices
1 large egg, beaten to blend
* Dried porcini mushrooms are available at Italian markets, specialty foods stores, and many supermarkets.
- In a small bowl, combine 1 1/2 cups hot water and dried porcini. Let sit until mushrooms soften, about 30 minutes. Using slotted spoon, transfer mushrooms to work surface; chop finely. Pour mushroom soaking liquid into small bowl, leaving any sediment behind, and reserve.
- In a large pot over medium-high heat, melt butter. Add shiitake and button mushrooms; sauté 10 minutes. Add leeks and garlic; sauté 5 minutes. Add wine, thyme, and porcini mushrooms. Cook until almost all wine evaporates, stirring occasionally, about 5 minutes. (Can be made 1 day ahead. Cover mushroom mixture and porcini soaking liquid separately and chill. Reheat mushroom mixture to lukewarm before continuing.) Transfer mixture to very large bowl.
- Mix bread into mushroom mixture. Season with salt and pepper; mix in egg. Add chicken stock if the bread mixture is not moist enough.
To bake stuffing in turkey:
- Loosely fill main cavity and neck cavity of turkey with stuffing. Add enough mushroom soaking liquid to remaining stuffing to moisten slightly (1/4 cup to 3/4 cup, depending on amount of remaining stuffing). Generously butter baking dish. Spoon remaining stuffing into prepared dish. Cover dish with buttered foil, buttered side down. Bake stuffing in dish — alongside turkey or while turkey is resting — until heated through, about 25 minutes. Uncover stuffing in dish. Bake until top of stuffing is crisp and golden, about 15 minutes.
To bake stuffing in dish:
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Generously butter 13x9x2-inch glass baking dish. Add enough reserved mushroom soaking liquid to stuffing to moisten. Transfer stuffing to prepared dish. Bake uncovered until heated through, about 40 minutes.
Serves 10 -12