Mashed Potato Casserole
Nothing screams holiday comfort food quite like mashed potatoes and casseroles…so why not combine the two?
This heavenly mashed potato casserole is everything you want to splurge on and more. Its creamy, cheesy, and oh so delicious. Please your family, friends, and holiday guests with this epic fusion of the classics.
14 Tablespoons unsalted butter, softened, and more for the pan
6 lbs. Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks
2 Tablespoons kosher salt, plus 1 teaspoon
1 1/2 cups sour cream
1 teaspoon black pepper
g Tablespoons finely chopped chives
2/3 cup bread crumbs
2/3 cups grated Parmesan cheese
- Lightly grease a 9 by 13 inch baking pan.
- In a large pot, bring the potatoes, 4 quarts water and 2 Tablespoons salt to a boil. Boil potatoes until tender when poked with a fork, about 20 minutes. Drain potatoes.
- Mash the potatoes and combine with 10 Tablespoons butter, sour cream, 1 teaspoon salt, and 1 teaspoon pepper. Add chives and combine. Taste and add more seasonings to taste.
- Spread the mashed potatoes into the prepared pan. May make up to three days ahead. Keep covered in the refrigerator.
- In a small bowl, combine remaining butter, breadcrumbs, and cheese. Incorporate until the mixture forms coarse crumbs.
- Heat oven to 400 degrees. Sprinkle crumbs over the casserole and bake until golden brown and crispy, about 30 to 40 minutes.