Pear, Fig and Blue Cheese Flatbread
With the holiday seasons quickly approaching, we know you’ve got a lot of party planning and entertaining coming your way. So why not make lighten the load by checking searching for an appetizer recipe off of your list!
This flatbread is amazing. It’s savory and sweet all in one. Treat your guests with something they’ll enjoy as they sip on a delicious Riesling or a crisp Sauvignon Blanc. Mmmm.
1 cup dried mission figs, sliced
3 Tablespoons butter
1 Tablespoon Olive oil
2 onions, sliced very thin
1 sheet puff pastry, thawed but kept cool
1 firm ripe pear, sliced very thin
7 oz. crumbled blue cheese or gorgonzola cheese
salt and pepper
- In a small glass bowl, add dried figs with hot water and let soak for 15-20 minutes. Drain figs and use for tart.
- In a large sauté pan, melt butter and olive oil over medium heat.
- Add sliced onions and reduce heat slightly. Stirring occasionally until onions soften and become brown, around 30 – 40 minutes. When onions are done, sprinkle with salt and pepper, and set aside to cool.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Line a large baking sheet. Roll out pastry dough with a floured rolling pin and place on baking sheet. Spread caramelized onions over entire pastry sheet. Add sliced pears and figs and top with cheese.
- Bake in oven until puffed and golden, about 25 – 30 minutes. Slice and serve.
Serves 6 – 12